Submitted: 11-30-2011 by Kocho
My Werner Cyprus standard size bent shaft is very light-weight yet well-made and sturdy feeling. The ferule is easy to assemble, though I would not mind a default 0-degree feather position so I don't have to look at it carefully. The paddle blades a low in weight so swing weight is also low. The blades (and the entire paddle for that matter) have very nice buoyancy that helps during the release of the stroke and static braces are almost as easy as with a Greenland paddle.

The bent shaft version appears well balanced: can be pulled straight back or canted a bit either forward (as in a GP canted stroke) or outward (as in a wing paddle stroke). This is due both to balance and the relatively small blade area and blade shape. Steering and bracing slicing strokes also appear well balanced with the paddle neither diving nor flying out of the way.

The blade is not huge but has more than enough power. Contrary to the other review, I do not feel the paddle to be exceptionally stiff there is just a little bit of "spring" to the blade, which I personally like (less than for instance on plastic-bladed Werner Desperado or similar but more than on stiff WW paddles). I had an Ikelos briefly and felt the blade to be way too big interfered with my stroke; the Cyprus is smaller so I can do a closer to the hull catch, yet there is still plenty of bite for both forward and steering strokes.

The paddle feels somewhat different than a similarly sized Lendal Kinetic S (all carbon) on a bent shaft a little less aggressive in the bite with a bit less power overall, but smoother in slicing due to the thicker profile and the shaft feels better made (and the Lendal has more swing weight and is less buoyant, so it feels a bit heavier in use than it actually is). On the one occasion I had a chance to use the straight shaft version I did not like it nearly as much as I like the bent shaft, which I feel is indeed more ergonomic while not being restrictive to where I put my hands (has nice smooth curve to the bends and allows enough adjustment in hand position to suit the conditions).

I do not see any serious area for improvement, so a solid 10.