Submitted: 11-12-2011 by gingernc
It's true: the Pilgrim IS a rolling machine. It's really remarkable. I am only 5 feet 3 inches tall, and it's difficult for me to roll kayaks with high foredecks and deep cockpits. The Pilgrim is the opposite, and rolling is pretty effortless. (I have been surprised how much difference there is among different sea kayaks.)

I also agree with the remark about stability. Despite the narrow hull, the boat has a lot of initial stability. I believe that's because the hull is basically flat under the seat. The Pilgrim also has enough rocker to sit down in the waves. I felt the difference in a West Coast sea kayak with a straighter keep line. In that boat, in short chop I felt the ends were supported on two waves with nothing under me for support -- kind of like sitting on a log over a stream. I felt shaky in that kayak.

I have yet to test the capacity of the Pilgrim for camping -- hope to soon. I do appreciate the very large day hatch, where I can stash lunch, snacks, water, and jackets plus a few other odds and ends. The Pilgrim gives me great confidence in the sea. It is a great design, and it really does fit smaller people, particularly with the low back deck and low foredeck. I have no complaints and only compliments for this kayak.