Submitted: 11-10-2011 by Janos

I bought my Sevylor Pointer K1 more than 3 years ago.
The advantages of this kayak are that you can bring everywhere (20kg package - a "big box"), 10 minutes to pump up it, it has a very big storage (inside of the kayak is opened so you can use the full place there) and it is very stable.

It was my first kayak so I had not have experience about the speed. However it is not a racer kayak. It is too wild for this. But if you are fit, it can be quick. (I was racing with a grass-snake once and I won...)

The disadvantage of this kayak is the draining. It is terrible! You have to drain it for 4-6 hours (if you put out the bottom buoyancy chamber [where you sit] and clean it inside with a towel). So you have to have a place where you can live it after that you used. (It could be at home or next to the water too. I used to do that when I finished my kayaking I made my lunch/dinner on the coast and during this time the kayak was draining. When I arrived at home I left it (in opened form) in a safety place for 2-3 days.)

However a towel to dry inside the kayak is highly recommended. Because it can mold inside if you do not drain it. One of the reason of this that you can not open the top. This kayak has two zips on the front but it is not working well and if you use the hole on the end, it will not mean that it is drain - some water will stay inside.
The draining was one of the biggest reason that I bought later a Sevylor Colorado - which is opened, and after a sit on top kayak.

In summary: this kayak is very stable and performance is quite good. However a huge disadvantage of the Pointer is that it can not drain easily.