Submitted: 11-08-2011 by Chuck

I have both the Wilderness Systems Pamlico 100 and the Dirigo 106 that I purchased used a couple of months ago in new condition. The great thing about the Dirigo is the lower sides that aide in paddling and the really nice bungie cords and paddle holder. The seat is also very comfortable in this 2011 version.

Compared to the Pamlico the Dirigo doesn't track quite as well. I guess it's the grooves on the underside of Pamlico that facilitate the better tracking. The Pamlico is also lower profiled overall, which helps with crosswinds. The Dirigo's nose kicks up which helps keep water out of the cockpit in faster water. I use a spray skirt with the Dirigo so I loose the cup holder in front. I wish the cup holder between your legs was a little deeper.

I have fitted a WS Pungo Konsole to my Pamlico with a little Dremel work, and I love it. I wish the Pamlico had better bungies like the Dirigo, and a drain hole for the cockpit, but those can be added. I did buy the Dirigo for 300 bucks, so I'm happy with it. For the slow moving, tight rivers that I paddle, and my 190 pound weight, both do well. I will say both are quality boats and both would serve you well. So, which boat do I grab first? Well, if I could only have one, it would be the Pamlico

Thunder Bay Tourism: