Submitted: 10-22-2011 by Kate

I have owned an OtterXT for 5 years now. I have taken it out on lakes, rivers, and protected inshore waterways under calm conditions. I have even paddled in the local river race called the Herring Run, and won the women's recreational division with it (9 miles in under 2.5 hours). It isn't a fast boat,and has a wake when paddled quickly, but it is stable under most inland conditions. My kids have managed to capsize it, but I haven't even come anywhere near close. It is light enough that I can lift it onto the roof of my minivan, and tough as nails! It fits on top of our bike rack in the garage, and can be shoved into the minivan in a pinch. I find that it maneuvers very well and is very responsive to my paddling and weight shift adjustments. Even though I have outgrown it in many ways and am buying a 14' boat this weekend after using a friend's tsunami in rougher waters all summer, I will still use it on windy and narrow creeks and my teens still love to take it out on their own. It may lack a hatch, but has plenty of room for a dry bag either up front/under the legs or behind the seat. I paid $330 at REI for it in May of 2006 and "Moxie" has been worth every penny so far.

Thunder Bay Tourism: