Submitted: 10-21-2011 by vvk

Got this kayak as a birthday present a few months ago - previously owned, but 'like new'. So far, I've taken it out to do some night catfishing on a lake; a few miles down the New river hunting for smallies; to some local ponds and smaller rivers for largemouth; and to OBX - Pamlico sound off Hatteras Island for speckled trout, red drum and flounder (got all three!).

High marks on stability, maneuverability, and load capacity. When I took it out into the sound (about 1&1/2 miles), it handled 2ft chop like a champ - even side to. Though it doesn't have a lot of room, it will comfortably fit a mid-size cooler or a 50-70lb dog on the back. The dry compartment is nice and roomy.

As the previous reviewer said, it's not made for speed - tough to keep up with others even if you're heading down with the current. I guess cause it's so wide, it has a tendency to turn sideways when you stop paddling - can be especially annoying when in the current, but I've managed to use that to my advantage when fishing along the river banks. You may also have to upgrade the seat - not too comfortable.

Overall, considering the price, I think it's a very good and safe fishing 'yak for beginners and will definitely burn off some calories. Lastly, don't try to stand up and pee off your kayak.