Submitted: 10-19-2011 by Rachel

I recently purchased a Kestrel 140 roto and cannot recommend this kayak based on quality alone. The kayak has major flaws and numerous smaller ones all should have been discovered at the factory prior to the product being shipped. Also, my experience with the representatives at Current Designs including the regional sales reps and the headquarters have been unsatisfactory.

First, the kayak arrived with a large depression in the starboard forward bow. Secondly, the seam between the hull and deck. The bow depression is almost 1" deep by 8" around and is obviously noticeable and should have been discovered at the factory. The seam along the the hull to deck joint has numerous pitting along the entire length of the kayak and again, should have been discovered prior to leaving the factory. Both flaws have been noticed by other kayakers without me bringing them to their attention so the flaws are quite noticeable.

I spoke to the regional representative in regards to these flaws and was told first, that the depression would "pop out" on it's own over time (it hasn't). He also said that the depression probably happened in shipping. This should be one of the strongest areas in a hull and I cannot see how the depression could have happened in shipping. He also told me that the seam could be worked out with heat and a knife (I haven't even attempted to do so and I shouldn't be expected to attempt it). I find this attitude towards quality entirely unsatisfactory. These problems should have been discovered at the factory and weren't. Also the attitude towards the quality complaints were dismissive by Current Design reps.

Based on my experience and the product itself I cannot recommend this kayak or any of the roto kayaks by Current Designs if this is the quality of the other roto kayaks.