Submitted: 10-19-2011 by StephenB

This update is further to my earlier (2) reports on the Thule Slipstream 887XT.
It was just a week ago, after returning from a great paddle on a local lake and unloading my kayak, that I noticed one of the front rubber pads had become loose. Fortunately I had not driven my Outback unloaded and so the pad was not lost along the road somewhere. I called Thule Tech Support to ask what kind of adhesive they used and/or would recommend to re-fasten the rubber pad. The pleasant representative had no idea/suggestion on what to use but that I'd likely find something suitable at a hardware or automotive store. I then called Lepage to speak with an adhesive expert. The equally pleasant and more helpful representative suggested I use their "Extreme Repair" product, which I purchased at Home Depot.

After removing the ineffective Thule adhesive and applying the Lepage product according to directions it seems to be thoroughly "stuck". I've since checked the other three pads on the Slipstream and they all seem a bit loose, so I may use the Extreme Repair on all four pads.

I've downgraded the Slipstream rating from 9 to 7 because of the lack of quality control -- first there was rust dripping from the metal tubing and now the pads are becoming loose.