Submitted: 10-12-2011 by Lucidus
This is a followup to my original review of 1 Nov 2010.
In the 2 years that I have now had this boat I have been quite pleased overall. The SmartTrack rudder functions very well. While it looks short, the rudder extends well into the water. Longer rudders of friends' boats that pivot from the top deck often are out of the water on swells, while mine stays in, probably one reason my boat does well in following seas.

Storage capacity, surprisingly not stated by QCC, is very good. I estimate the total in the two compartments to be 184 liters (by measurements and trigonometry), which is more than in some 17.5 ft kayaks. There was plenty of room for gear on several short camping trips, with space left for more food for longer trips. I needed to glue in thigh braces and hip padding for good control, absolutely essential for rolling classes. The supplied "thigh braces" provide no lateral support, but are excellent locations to glue added shaped foam blocks.

The high stability feels nice in waves, but makes edging harder, a trade-off I am still comfortable with at my level. The biggest waves I have been in so far were 3 foot and the kayak was predictable and controllable. Hull seems strong and mild encounters with rocks have only given expected gel-coat damage. Seat is comfortable for me, backrest provides fair amount of adjustment. My kevlar/carbon boat weighs in at 46 lbs with rudder, exactly as currently advertised. The Q400X is a "big" kayak with a short overall length.

Silverfish