Submitted: 10-07-2011 by DM

I just bought a used Cabo in August and have been getting out every chance I get. I bought the Cabo because I like to fish but the family doesn't so it works as a single for me for fishing and a tandem or even a triple with our little guy in the middle for just funning around. It is very fast compared to anything else I have paddled. I regularly launch it in 0-2' surf without any problem but am careful not to get sideways and I paddle out past the surf line as fast as I can to keep the bow perpendicular to the incoming waves. As for stability, it's like riding a bike, once your used to the way it handles you don't even notice it. When I'm looking down rigging lines and am not paying attention to the water and wind conditions I just hang my feet over the side, its stable as can be. I sometimes sit sidesaddle when fighting fish…I'm comfortable. My biggest complaint is as a single it takes a country mile to turn and two if you're turning into the wind. Paddling across a strong wind can be tough. The wind pushes the boat around a lot. As a tandem, it not such a big deal. Mine is going in for a rudder next week. Ocean Kayak discontinued this boat and they no longer make a rudder kit for it. There are after-market kits available. The other con is that if you're fishing single, the storage areas and rod holders can be a long way from your seat. You have to be part gymnast to move forward and rear to reach storage, fishing rods, fish bag, cooler etc. I would rather have the size and speed and learn to move around on it. It is also a beast to get on top of our van by myself but after some practice I can do it pretty easily now. Bottom line, this is a big boat and if you need a big boat or one that can do double duty as a single or a tandem this is a very good choice. Just be prepared to deal with the challenges of 17' and 70+ pounds.

Thunder Bay Tourism: