Submitted: 10-06-2011 by b bezanson

I have paddled this boat for 7 years, just replaced it as my main ride with a PH Capella 166. I kept the Ookpik however because it is a lovely kayak. People tend to shun it as a recreational "toy" but IMO they are way off base. Extremely roomy and comfortable to paddle, I have no problem going on overnighters, plenty of storage for my large 4 person tent, food, stove, clothing,several wet bags, sleeping bag, 10 litres water, beer, and even firewood( bungeed to the rear deck) and the boat handles fine with all the added weight. It tracks very well and is quite fast for a small kayak. I have had it out in force 4-5 winds on St Margaret's Bay and felt very confident and safe, even with the bow slicing through and water running up the deck to the coaming.

It is easy to carry and load on the roof rack. The rudder is an added bonus although it is rarely if ever required as controlling this boat with leans and paddle strokes is very easy.I only use it when I feel lazy. The stability is excellent.

I took the PH out to compare the other day. It was dead calm so I didn't get to compare the sea keeping attributes but I did note that it seemed only marginally faster than the Ookpik under cruising speed.

I highly recommend this little gem.

Freedom Hawk Kayaks: