Submitted: 10-05-2011 by snowghost

This is our first canoe, we bought it for extended lake tripping and it fits the bill perfectly. We've only been on one trip with it but it was 3 weeks so we saw a wide range of conditions. This canoe does a few things very well and most others it is not well suited. If you're looking for a hauler of a canoe this is it, this canoe will go fast and the more stuff you've got in it the better. Including ourselves we had 550lbs in the canoe at the beginning of the trip, the boat responded excellent to a load like this. Unloaded I would not take this canoe out in significant wind, you will find it very hard to control. Solo paddling is next to impossible in wind. I did trust this boat more than any other I've been in. We rounded a point and got committed to a half mile crossing straight into honest 3-4' rolling white caps. This was the most adrenaline I've ever experienced while paddling, luckily we had the boat trimmed well and we both paddled strong. Though it was nerve wracking we didn't capsize. Though I wouldn't recommend this experience it did give me a lot of faith in the big water capabilities of the Wilderness 18. Bottom line if you need a do it all boat look elsewhere, if you need a fast, big load hauling tripper, this canoe is where it's at.