Submitted: 09-23-2011 by Tortious

I bought two of these a few weeks ago. I'd read the reviews here and was particularly interested in, and very much appreciated, the comments regarding the new molding process and the company's response. I found that mine do have kind of a weird flex if you put weight on them at just the right angle on dry land. However, I don't use them on dry land, and they seem to work fine in the water. If the new process contributes to their lightness (reported at 37 lbs.), without detracting from use, then I'm all for it. I'm sure when plastic (or any other new material) was first introduced, there was a lot of push back from the wooden kayak (etc.) folks.

I agree with the original poster that changing the process without changing the model designation is a little misleading. It also calls into question the value of the model's reputation (i.e., do the many good reviews of the old process kayaks translate to the new?). That alone almost caused me to buy the next kayak down on my shopping list.

I note that at least one foot peg appears to have broken off or disassembled on the second use. I haven't checked it out in detail, but will have to follow up on that. Others reported the same problem. Considering these products have basically one moving part, you'd think they'd get that right.

I paid $295.00 for mine on sale at REI. That's certainly a lot cheaper than the $1,000 kayaks from specialty retailers, but twice as much as the $150 kayaks on sale at Dick's. Kayaks are fundamentally all just big piece of molded plastic... so it's hard for me to understand the justification for the wide range of prices.
Maybe I'm just ignorant on that topic.

Northwater Paddle Sports: