Submitted: 09-20-2011 by FMCCAMMON

I have a new square stern Sportspal, 14'. It is a fine, stable canoe, but I found it impossible to steer my 2.5 hp Suzuki comfortably with the rear seat so far back; just too much weight so far back, causing the prow to ride too high in the water. So, I removed the rear thwart by drilling out the rivets. Then, I fabricated an 8" wide bench seat (from channel aluminum), which attaches under the gunnels and also serves as a thwart. I mounted a swivel and a fold down boat seat on this bench seat and found a high quality throttle extender online (the adjustable one with the knuckle joint, otherwise a long extender can be awkward to use). This makes the canoe a pleasure to use with the motor or an extra long kayak paddle. The oars and oarlocks that came with the canoe were not very useful. A nice design feature for the Sportspal or other aluminum canoe would be to have movable thwarts.