Submitted: 09-13-2011 by lenscap

I paddle an Epic 18 using a wing paddle and a Greenland paddle from "Lumpy Paddles". I wanted a paddle that would reduce the load on my body for a 100 mile race and I heard that Lumpy Paddles were the ticket. I tried another brand of wooden Greenland paddle that a friend had and was not impressed.

When I first took the Lumpy Paddle in my hand all felt right with the world. Owner Bill Bremer gave me a brief lesson on how to use the paddle and I started practicing. After a few weeks my strokes and my rolling had both improved. The blade handles intuitively in rough waters as well as calm. It just makes paddling more fun.

I paddled 18 miles the other day in a heat advisory. I took my wing and my Lumpy Paddle. I stared with my wing, no wind, 95 degree temps, and high humidity, After about 7 miles I had to slow down to keep my heart rate from soaring. Paddling a wing paddle slow is a truly odd feeling that I don't recommend. At 11 miles I switched to the Lumpy paddle. I could maintain a good cadence with the Lumpy paddle compared to the slow, ungainly, cadence of the wing when I was tired - and I felt MUCH better physically. In fact, I felt good enough to add 7 miles on the trip and finish at 25 miles.

I would recommend a Lumpy paddle to anyone interested in enhancing their paddling experience. A Lumpy Paddle is a true piece of kayak art and worth the wait.