Submitted: 09-08-2011 by Islenska

Tampico 140s (s = smaller cockpit size and thigh braces)
About me: Male, beginner, 157lbs., 5'11"
Even though I am a beginning kayaker I wanted an intermediate-level craft that I could "grow" into. I tested out several polyethylene, recreational kayaks such as the Tsunamis (Wilderness Systems) and Kestrels (Current Designs). I then noticed on Paddling.net the Tampico 140s, a Trylon plastic that resembles and mimics thermoformed fiberglass at less than half the cost (purchased for 35% off the MSRP of $1349 at my local kayak shop in Minnesota). Hurricane Aqua Sports describes their Tampico series as "touring," a class above "recreational."

On paper the Tampico 140s seemed great. On the water it was even better. When I tested the rig I felt as if I was a better kayaker because the Tampico 140s allowed me to manipulate as opposed to fight like I had with other kayaks I rented. The 45 lbs. Tampico tracks nicely and edges adequately for a learner like me. This kayak also handles the chop quite well, which I dealt with on my very first tryout after purchasing. Soft chines produce better secondary stability versus primary.

The back-band is low, similar to the advanced rigs, which will allow proper rolling technique. My posture is not the best, but I feel alright after a couple hours of paddling. The seat itself is just as comfortable as any other I've tried. The two rubber hatch covers close and open without hassle.