Submitted: 09-07-2011 by mikehenebry
I purchased Keel Easy Keel Strips from The Kayak Academy (the only source that I know of in the US) and installed them on my Warren Light Craft. The strips are 2" wide by 1/32" thick vinyl, self adhesive, and can be bent around curve by warming them with a heat gun. For really sharp bends, it is necessary to cut slits or notches and use something like seam sealer to get the 'puckers' to adhere well to the hull.

These keel strips appear to be very abrasion resistant. I installed the strips on each end (2-3-ft on bow and stern) of my 15.5-ft carbon fiber kayak. I had been super careful of my somewhat delicate boat as it has a foam core and no gel coat, so it dents and abrades quite easily. I now can launch from concrete boat ramps and pull up onto rocky beaches with no damage to my hull. After several months of hard use this summer, the keel strips show little wear, vinyl is tough, but when the strips do wear out they can be easily removed using a heat gun, and new strips installed.

Overall, I am quite please with the Keel Easy Keel Strips and highly recommend them.