Submitted: 09-07-2011 by sdd

Just got back from my new Vector's maiden voyage. My first SOT kayak. 32 miles on the Etowah River. 16 down stream and 16 up stream with a head wind. The boat tracked and turned well. For a SOT I'd say it performed well. Paddles easier than the 14' Tarpon but still is not as efficient as a smaller sit inside boat. I have a 17' Storm GT and a 13' Necky Manitou so I'm accustomed to easier paddling.

The boat was easy to paddle as long as I did not try to exceed its capability. It paddles with no effort at about 3 MPH but to go faster you have to work harder. Even against a strong current I maintained fairly good speed.

My only issues, and they are minor:
1) the foot peg adjustment hit me in the ankle unless my legs were flat against the boat.
2) My hand hit the handles on the side occasionally.
3) The replaceable drag plate on the keel is a good idea but executed badly. The counterbore for the mounting screws is much larger than is needed. They hang on rocks and grass and tear a grove in your yard when you drag it. Once the hole edges wear down it shouldn't be an issue.
4) The recessed area in the center that appears to be for laying a water bottle in should have a way for water to flow out. My GPS was laying in it and it stopped functioning.

All in all I'd say I'm about as happy as I could be with a SOT. The main reason I got a SOT was to carry a cooler...go figure!