Submitted: 09-07-2011 by Artur

Being a sailor since I was 11 - I am 54 now - and having a fully equipped Malibu Two XL to ride with my wife on lakes and rivers, I bought the Frenzy as the Malibu is two big to put it alone in the top of my car - not too heavy but too big - and because I go often paddling alone and although I think the Malibu XL is a great performer on solo paddling, I wanted something smaller, practical and good on the sea - the main spot I navigate with my Frenzy, is in the Atlantic coast of Porto (Portugal) a spot I know very well due to sailing and windsurfing.
  1. Size does matter: it's a charm to put the Frenzy on top of the car and to carry it all the way in the beach on it's trolley ( it's a big beach ); also because it is sooo small, it behaves quite nicely on the waves;
  2. For me it's almost a "dry" kayak, as even with fresh breeze, the only water it gets inside is due to the waves hitting the bow and splashing inside but getting out in an instant due to the well positioned scupper holes; with the back seat, it's even more comfortable although I think is also comfortable without the seat, as it is well sculpted in that part of the boat.
  3. Good tracking unless we crank on the paddles and if so, it seems a nutty kayak with high left to right motion; however if we get the right pace and the right effort, itīs a great tracker, very stable and safe;
  4. It's not fast but...it's not slow either. Besides, who buys a Frenzy to enter a race? I like it as it is: calm, friendly, a no hurry kayak. And it surfs great on the waves, really great:)
All in all, a great kayak to enjoy the sea (never tried it in rivers or lakes) and it's a great companion to a well spent day on the beach. I just like my Frenzy and it's simplicity and rugged construction. A no-frills kayak which performs quite well in any situation.