Submitted: 09-06-2011 by Dan Katzman

I bought a third hand Spring Run about a year ago. It instantly became my favorite kayak. It had already had 5 or more years of use but is still watertight and beautiful. The boat is perfectly balanced and requires essentially no correction for weather cocking in a side wind. I paddle on SF Bay a lot and get lots of wind. It is stable and comfortable in waves from pretty much any quarter. There is no need for a skeg. Both the primary and secondary stability are quite good. You can go out on a rough day and still relax and look at birds. It does not have a great top speed but it cruises along very well in group paddles with no more than moderate effort. The top deck sheds chop water well. It is not a surf boat as the stern will slew somewhat in a 2 foot following wave. It turns well enough to get back on track when this happens.

When my schedule allows, I want to take one of Joe's workshops and learn how to build a King. I was very lucky to find an already built one at an affordable price.

New York Kayak Co.: