Submitted: 09-06-2011 by Silverback

I promised an update: I haven't changed my rating... I've had it out a few times in a few different locations (the longest paddle was a little over 6-1/2 miles, half of it upstream in some fairly fast moving water), and have had the same reaction each time, which sort of summarizes what the real problem with the ‘yak is: it's a decent rec kayak with a _really_ awful seat. REALLY, the other problems I noted would be fine if it wasn't for the seat and the problems it causes.

You sit too low with your feet too high. I've sat 4 hours in an old style Swifty seat (just a molded plastic bucket that's part of the ‘yak) without any discomfort, where the one in the vapor has me squirming in 30min. It's not comfortable, it doesn't support you, the wet ride and low seat means your shorts are wet right away, if it's a cooler day, you will be cold.

So what about the rest of it- well I pretty much agree with my first impression good and bad, but the seat is the real problem- so much so that I even tried removing it and moving it around, adjusting its mounting some... without any real help, it's just a terrible design.

So for those of you thinking "well, maybe he's just too big for it or something." Well, I'm 6'4 and run around 240-250#, so I am bigger, but almost all my weight is in my chest and arms. I fit in things that some 175 pounders might not. I fit in a smaller seat then my 5'7" wife. I wear size 34 jeans, but 2 or 3x tall shirts (and have much longer than average arms, so I should have an easier time reaching over the high/wide sides of this thing). I'm used to having fit problems with things but I can't imagine who will actually be be comfortable in this thing.

My wife just said "but the water bottle holder is nice."