Submitted: 09-06-2011 by A HILTON

I already own Tarpon 160's and FF Nomads. Wanted something quicker and more manageable for transport so the Disco seemed the right choice. Had read adverse reviews on tippiness and water retainment. Bought the discos. Build quality seemed fine yet despaired at no scuppa holes in the concave seating area.What would this mean in sea conditions? Came the day of the maiden voyage. At 6.0''and 14st I sat in the kayak and saw it quickly filled with water keeping low in the water. Sea conditions were calm to slight chop. It has all the feel of a sit in kayak for stability. As soon as I started to paddle, the kayak lifted from the water and all the water drained away "Phew". Tracking is excellent, speed is excellent, maneuvering is also excellent.The seating area remained pretty dry despite there not being scuppa holes. I do use a padded seat that may have displaced the water. Stopping the kayak meant the foot well area filled with water. This didn't happen with my sons kayak as he is around 11. Its a price worth paying for the performance. Weight is good for lifting and roof racks. There was no water in the hull after 2 days kayaking that may reflect good build quality. I would have expected some.I dont use storage but have an overboard bag that sat comfortably in the rear deck area. Front deck area would benefit elasticated cord for spare paddles. I have yet to try this in more choppy conditions and feel that's where the Tarpons may hold their own. Otherwise, while not impressed, I am very pleased with the performance, price and spec.