Submitted: 09-01-2011 by Ruby

Buy the best paddle you can afford. These were right up there. They make them lighter, but not much. We both the 4-piece paddles to use and travel with our inflatable kayak and are very happy with them. At about 1 pound apiece, it's hard to remember what paddling with a normal paddle was like. Only after 6 ore more hours on a river do I begin to feel tired in my neck from holding the paddle up off the gunwales -- something you have to do if you're paddling. One caution, the "plastic" blade can swell up when wet, making it almost impossible to separate it from the shaft. Follow the manufacturer's instructions about lightly shaving the ferrule to make it slightly smaller. And ALWAYS wipe all dirt and dust off the outside and inside of the ferrules before joining the pieces or you will have a very hard time taking them apart. My wife and I love these paddles and are happy we traded in our lightweight wood ones, which did require yearly maintenance.