Submitted: 08-31-2011 by paraglia

Here's an update to my last Safari review. This little kayak still serves me very well and it's really fun to paddle. I also own a Feathercraft Java SOT for longer paddles where assembly time isn't so important. The Safari goes together really quickly, its relatively low initial stability makes it a joy to paddle and since it's self-bailing, taking on waves is more fun than worrisome. Water comes in and goes out through a series of drain hole on both sides under the waterline.

There is still room for of improvements though. I found the Safari's pillow style backrest somewhat uncomfortable for anything longer than a half hour of paddling. Innova was very responsive and supplied an "old style" Sunny seat with an upright inflatable backrest. Problem solved! This seat matches the Safari perfectly and I can paddle quite a distance without any sciatic discomfort. I wish this seat was an option for an otherwise great kayak. BTW, since I live in an apartment without much storage space, both my kayaks reside under my bed when they aren't out paddling.