Submitted: 08-28-2000 by FMC

I've had my camper a month now and have been out in it five times. We've only gone on state park lakes here in Pennsylvania for 1-4 hour day trips. We've not used it for overnight trips nor on rivers yet. I researched many different models of Old Town, Mad River, and Wenonah. I was looking for a family canoe that I can go out in relatively calm waters with my two young kids and my wife, or just me and the kids.

The camper suits my needs perfectly. At 59 pounds it is easy for me to load and unload and get it in the water by myself. The minor increase on price for the Royalex over the Crosslink/3 is worth it. It is long and wide enough that all four of us fit easily, including coolers for lunch, extra clothes, and fishing rods. Next trip, we might even add our dog! The flat bottom is very stable, at rest and while moving, and it allows us to venture into coves and inlets where the water is fairly shallow.

It seems to paddle easily, even when I'm the only one doing the paddling from the stern. I think it handles wind as well as any canoe. Despite what you hear about some models, I think ALL canoes have trouble in a strong wind. Regarding "tracking", it does seem to zig zag a little, but I think that is more a problem with my paddling than the boat itself.

Overall, I love my camper and would highly recommend it.

NRS: