Submitted: 08-29-2011 by Artur

I am 54, I sail since I was 9 years old and I am a fan of almost all water sports (sailing, windsurfing, water skiing, etc.)

I found myself involved in kayaking merely by chance and I just loved it. So I decided, after a deep search in the net and a close inspection on several kayaks - hull design, safety, equipment, and sturdiness - to buy the Malibu Two XL - fully equipped with two hatches, centre oval tank well, and seats - and I am more than satisfied.

It's stable - although not as stable as the RTM Ocean Duo (the kayak that converted me to the sport) it holds very well against wind , keeping a straight line easily, it's "almost" dry inside, even without the scupper plugs on it with two + 1 people aboard, very well built.

It's a great kayak for lakes and rivers, and when paddling alone on the centre seat position, it is very easy to paddle and navigate. Never tried it on sea.

Yesterday I went on a 4 hours ride on a river with a lady friend of mine (it was the first time for her) - on a moderate windy day and strong tides - and we had no problems whatsoever to reach our goal. We have made 9 nautical miles in rough conditions but the Malibu held very well.

Although it is not a heavy kayak with 28 kilos, due to its 4,10 metres it's not easy to put it on the top of my car alone, but I managed well, mainly because I hold it on the top of my head, resting my head oh the rubber lid of the centre oval hatch. But even so, it's a little hardly handy, mainly due to it's length.

I am considering very strongly to buy the little "Frenzy", just for sea kayaking on solo, mainly for fun.

All in all, the Malibu Two XL it's a great kayak in it's own category.