Submitted: 08-29-2011 by jaredmantis

You'll notice my review below. I've changed the rating to an 8. The reason for this is because the previous 10 was given out of excitement of a new toy that I was (and am still) very happy with. Though I have not had any issues with my boat I have heard that there are some issues with the bulkhead seals not being 100% from factory...just need a bit more silicone.

So with a bit more time in the boat, here is what I feel about the boreal design baffin poly;

1. It weathercocks quite a bit, which requires not only edging to correct it but usually a sweep or pry (this is once it is already weathercocking, if you edge in time your ok, if you drop the skeg your golden)

2. It rolls wonderfully, even with poor form

3. Surfs very nicely

4. When edging I found it takes a pause before there is a reaction, but once she bites in you can really carve well

5. The baffin handles very well when loaded, much better in the rough stuff when you have a load verses an empty boat. As nearly every sea kayak it is designed to be loaded.

6. The hatch seals are very dry, I have not been in huge surf how ever I have had some heavy 5-6 ft. waves breaking over me and the soft hatches stay sealed and dry.

7. The foot pegs are very strong, I have been practicing allot of P.E.P. (power efficient paddling) were 100lbs of pressure can be applied to the pegs with each stroke, and I have not had one of them pop off yet

8. I have spent allot of time sitting in this boat over the last 8 months and I still have my legs falling asleep within about 20 min. The hard plastic seat mold is angled up, which seems to put too much pressure on the backs of my legs. I have put some foam under the back of the seat to decrease the angle, but it still happens.

So if you're looking at this boat, take it for a test paddle for at least 1/2 and hour. It preforms wonderfully in all conditions, and is definitely a boat that will increase you paddling abilities. The weathercocking is a non issue with the skeg down or with edging. The quality is fantastic.