Submitted: 08-29-2011 by wavespinner
It's my "hauler boat" for extended trips and the review is in that context. I'm 5'10", 187 with size 11 feet.

Going up to the HV, I was looking more for additional cargo space and waterline length than anything else. It provides some extra storage but, retaining some performance lines, isn't a fat boat.

The layered plastic is rigid and relatively light. The kayak performs all maneuvers well, but has a tad more rocker than I prefer for covering distance. The bow flare seems to function effectively in heavy waves, obviating the need for excessive volume. It thrives in the rough stuff. The deck lines are well thought out. And, its visual lines are pleasing to the eye.

Quibbles. I'd like more aggressive thigh braces and a lower back brace that isn't as apt to fold forward. I don't mind balky hatches if they seal but I do get some forward leakage in heavy seas. I'm not a big fan of grab loops that dangle over the ends of the boat.

Bottom line is that you get a true sea kayak with the price and durability of plastic. Great boat for hauling the goods over long distances.