Submitted: 08-26-2011 by BrentEades

So this was my graduation to a "big boy's" boat.
I started kayaking this year after doing a lot of canoe tripping when I was younger (I'm 56 now.) Began with a 12' Perception Carolina which is a nice enough boat, enough to give me a taste for the sport. Anyway, after putting in quite a few miles in the Carolina I started checking out bigger and more serious boats. Ended up at Frontenac Outfitters near Kingston, Ontario, where I tried the Delta 17.

What a lovely boat. Though I'm not very experienced, I found its initial stability very good. I climbed into it from a high-ish dock (first time I'd done that) and away I went. Then I discovered edging :) Finally having a boat that really "fit", I was delighted to see how slight shifts in hips really turned the boat. Revelation :) I took my camera gear with me and felt quite comfortable fiddling about with that, not tippy at all. Seems like it will be a very good day-boat.

Anyway: love it so far. I have no idea how it does in rough water because I haven't taken it there yet. But as a "next step" for folks like me who want to master a proper sea kayak it seems like a great choice.

Katadyn: