Submitted: 08-24-2011 by Matt

I have two Otters for my kids; the models I have include footpegs, bungees, padded seats and one has a well for easy access behind the seat. These are great kayaks for beginning paddlers. They are short and wide, which gives them great stability, especially for paddlers who are uneasy with the idea of kayaking. This kayak comes with footpegs, which is an added bonus.

The cockpit is wide and comfortable, which gives the paddler plenty of room for water bottles or a stuffpack behind the seat (some have wells). However, the width can be frustrating if the person is somewhat short in stature (kids), because they have to hold the paddle higher than is comfortable in order get it over the gunwales of the craft and into the water. There is not a defined keel, so it does wander a bit, especially with beginners.

On the whole, this is an excellent kayak for the price, and my kids (both were around 8 when they got their kayaks) love going out in them (now 10 and 13). I'm writing this review based on observations of my children - at 6'3" and 200 pounds, I've not squeezed into one myself.