Submitted: 08-17-2011 by unclejack1945

After a demo ride in this boat I was blind to previous reviews of deficiencies. I absolutely fell in love with the way I fit in the boat and the way it handles. In fact, after a year of paddling it, I still love the way it handles; the ensuing problems I have had however, prompt me to write this review.

As with the review [of the Whisky 16 boat; April 2010] by Paddle Boy, I completely agree that the lay up is far too light. A good tug on a tie down strap cost me a monster gel coat spider right in front of the coaming. My wife was paddling the boat and as she was getting out on a beach, sat on the deck aft of the coaming to retract her legs from the cockpit... another large spider. Pushing the front hatch closed I created another spider. Needless to say the gel coat and lay-up is much too light for any substantial hard use. When you push on the deck, it flexes and pops... NOT GOOD.

I will say that the company was great as far as being responsive to my e-mail. They sent me matching gel coat to make repairs at no cost and it was delivered to my door from Sweden within 6 days.

I have the Navigator rudder system, but have been unable to use it to efficiency as the lines never stay where you adjust them. The twine linkage, instead of metal cable, stretches, sticks and comes undone from the friction holds you are supposed to use to fine tune the adjustments. Even after MacGyvering the lines the bungee cord returns are not sufficient enough to overcome the drag created in the tubes from the rudder to the foot controls and it never re-centers itself. If you push too hard, the lines come undone and the rudder is useless until you reach shore and are able to fix it.

The final straw for me was last week. After a day paddle on a moderately calm water lake, the rear hold had an inch of water in it. The lid on the rear cargo hold is a real B***h to get on as it is super tight; a good thing right? It will stay water tight, right? My first thought was that I didn't secure the lid well enough, however when I checked the lid, it was secure. But, at least 1/4 of the hatch could be lifted off of the boat. In looking at the hold design, where many other builders use a sandwich style of hatch to capture the boat deck between the top and bottom, this boat has a rubber seal that failed. A tube of 'Marine Goop' later, it still leaks. A sponge in the hold seems to work however.

This boat is going on Craigslist as soon as I get home from my current week long kayak vacation. I still love the way this boat handles, and I might even consider buying another, but only if Point 65 gets their stuff together and makes them a lot more sturdy. I give it a 6 only because of the way the boat handles in the water, otherwise it would be much lower.