Submitted: 08-16-2011 by DH

I got the UKT6 from Magenta Trailers. Mechanically it is sound, aside from some of the holes being drilled off center, eg for tail lights and ubolts, making assembly more difficult than it should be. One key concern was that several of the U-bolts with self locking nuts sheared as the nuts were being put on. After talking to Magenta they said the supplier had shipped some U-bolts that were of a weaker alloy than normal and several customers had had this same issue. This is a major concern. What about the other U-bolts that didn't shear but may have been fatigued during assembly? Are these going to break in transit?

I talked to Magenta support several times and each time they were very nice and offered to send replacement U-bolts. After 4 times including phone calls and emails over a 2 month period I still don't have the U-bolts and can't complete the assembly. I have had to buy my own U-bolts that are about $5-10 each depending on dimensions. The holes are slightly off standard so I am having to use a Dremel tool to open them up so a standard U-bolt can fit in.

I'd recommend the upgraded wheels, galvanizing and trailer wheel / stand. The tail lights are not very bright and I ended up removing them and getting LED replacements for ~$50 that I'm happy with. This is a significant safety issue I think. I didn't end up using the adhesive strip they recommend putting on top of the horizontal supports. This is ridiculous at about an inch of padding. for a kayak you'll want to get some foam pads and drill holes in them and fix them onto the cross beams with cable ties so you have proper padding and support for your kayaks. The electrical wiring they supply with the trailer is low quality and at one point I had a short because the wiring was showing on the side of the insulation. If you have lights that are not behaving consistently you may want to check this out since if the wiring is not insulated, and its strapped to the chassis then it will short the electrical signal to ground which will cause your light to not come one and may cause your car to blow a fuse.

In summary, this is a trailer that you should not buy unless you are a handy person. I mean someone that is ok with both mechanical and electrical handy jobs. Plan to spend about $200-400 above the cost of the trailer in order to complete the job properly. Hope that helps...