Submitted: 08-10-2011 by alan dunham

I contacted Ron 6 weeks before I was to start a two week paddle trip. Even though I later asked for a norsaq as well, Ron made sure he sent them out in time and went so far as to contact the shippers when the shipment was delayed.

When I opened the package, I was amazed at how light the paddle was. At 23 ounces, it is 9 ounces lighter than my cedar paddle. The paddle and norsaq are a subdued red, almost a wine color. They are colorful without being gaudy.

I used the paddle for the first time on my trip. I paddled part of the west side of Vancouver Island; between San Josef Bay and the south side of the Brooks Peninsula (and back). The paddle was a delight to use due to its light weight and its feel. It has a perfect amount of friction for a bare hand. It has sharper edges than my cedar paddle, so it enters the water with less resistance.

On the second day of my trip, I paddled around the Brooks Peninsula. I was able to sail from Solander Island to Clerke Pt. I was glad to have a carbon fiber paddle because I put considerable force on it, both as an extended outrigger, and as a high angle stern rudder. I would have been worried about breakage if I had been using my cedar paddle.

Since I returned from my trip, I have had three rolling sessions with the paddle and norsaq. They have finer edges than my cedar counterparts; thus they move through the water easier. Whereas I had trouble before with Aariammillugu, now I can do three in a row. The sculling rolls are also easier; before I could not do Masikkut Aalatsineq; but now I can. The two forward finishing norsaq rolls are not reliable with my cedar norsaq, but they are with my Novorca norsaq.

In summary, I am very satisfied with my Novorca paddle and norsaq. I wish I had bought them years ago!