Submitted: 08-09-2011 by Medawgone
I have been paddling for 12+ years. I switched from Euro to Greenland paddles about 3 years ago. I first tried the 3 piece Aleutian at the East Coast Kayak Festival in Charleston, SC in April 2011. I tried it with a couple of Brit style boats at the show. I liked it so much , I bought one at the show.

The paddle is very easy to break down and put together. Very easy to pack away for travel. The paddle has a tight reassuring fit when assembled. Very solid feel. The screws on the shaft are recessed and out of the way.

The Aleut 3 Piece is really a 2-in-1 paddle. Greenland side feels very similar to a regular Greenland style paddle. Very smooth and quiet in and out of the water. Flip the paddle to the power side and it has a very unique feel to it. I call it the Greenland version of a wing paddle. The power side has a definite boost in power and speed. Very handy when you need the extra ump to bust through the chop. This is now my main touring paddle.

I am just an average roller at best. Rolling with this NLP Aleut paddle was not much different that a traditional wood greenland. The paddle just glides through the water. Has very nice lift to it on both sides. My father who had been an avid euro paddler for 12+ years was having a lot of issues with his shoulders after paddling. Never had any use for a regular Greenland paddle. He tried my Aleut during a local paddle one day. He did not give it back till about three months later; when he bought his own, after selling his beloved Onno euro. Since he has switched to the NLP Aleut paddle, his shoulders feel much better after a paddle. He has nearly cut out the pain meds he used to take with using his Euro. The Aleut is now his main paddle.

The NLP Aleutian 3-piece paddle has been just a homerun all around. The folks at Northern Light Paddle's are a pleasure to work with as well. Very customer oriented.