Submitted: 08-08-2011 by qagaye
I bought this boat online from the REI outlet because the specs sounded good, the price was unbelievably good and I needed a rotomolded boat for rock bumping or just as an extra. Plus, I was assured that if it wasn't what I wanted I didn't have to keep it. This has turned into a very pleasant surprise as it is very fun to paddle, stable yet good glide and speed. Skeg deploys flawlessly. Very nice transitional kayak, more than a rec boat, less than a sea kayak, just what I was hoping for.

My twelve year old grandson loves paddling it (and he is no slouch at paddling) and beginners quickly feel comfortable. Large opening means I can get in and out easily, but not sloppy feeling. Only drawback is the weight. It is listed as 44lbs. Hah! Only in the imagination of the sales crew is it 44lbs, I would love to weigh myself on this scale and I would never have to diet again. Granted I am a weak sister, but both my grown sons agree that it is closer to 54-60lbs. For this reason it tends to get left at home when I would prefer to use this as the extra boat. Because of the weight, we have (lovingly) dubbed her the SeaPig and when the boys do the hauling she is the first one chosen for themselves, a guest or my grandson (if they can get it away from him).

I hope this doesn't make it sound like a beginner only boat, because it certainly is not. Both beginners and those more experienced have enjoyed using her and would highly recommend this as a nice transitional kayak.