Submitted: 08-05-2011 by lucefamily

The Swift Bering Sea is a well kept secret! I was looking for a kayak for my 180 pound, 5'10" body that was under 16 feet long (so it would fit in my garage), under 24" wide, and weighed less that 50 pounds (so I would not ruin my back while loading it on the car), and was an efficient boat to paddle. The Bering Sea met all of these criteria.

With a waterline length of 15'2" and a soft chine hull, the Bering Sea is faster than many 17 footers. While the initial stability is a bit 'twitchy' the Bering Sea has reasonable secondary.

The skeg version is just 43 pounds in the Kevlar Fusion layup. I couldn't pass up an older used model that was a little heavier with fibreglass hatch covers and a rudder weighing in at 52 pounds. Although I had planned on buying a skeg equipped model, my boat has a Seal Line Smart Trac rudder system. The rudder is a short blade that has very little drag and is nicely controlled with separate foot pegs and rudder pedals. As a beginner kayaker, the rudder gives this boat great maneuverability. I have been paddling this boat for the past 3 months and I have no regrets!

This is a great North American made kayak that should be on any serious kayaker's short list.

Thunder Bay Tourism: