Submitted: 08-05-2011 by Brendan

After many hours of research we decided to buy a Passage 14 from Dicks Sporting Goods (the pared down version of the Adventure 14). We picked the 14 footer over the 16 footer Dicks offers because unlike the Passage 16; the Passage 14 is the identical shape/design of the Adventure 14. We were looking for an all around recreational family canoe that was affordable and durable and tracked reasonably well. We had read reviews where some people found this canoe to be tippy which had concerned us, but when we looked at the other choices available in our price range, this one still seemed to be the best choice for our purposes so we went for it.

We just took it out for the first time today and I can assure you that while there is some initial instability (which seemed similar to other canoes I've been in); you have really got to try pretty hard to tip this canoe. I rocked it to the point of almost allowing water over the gunnels, but it resisted tipping. I sat on the back seat and at 6'1 and 210 lbs, the bow was out of the water, but it was still stable. I stood up in it in the center on still water and paddled it, still stable.

Pros- The seats and seat backs are great. It's stable, tracks well, and is efficient to paddle for it's price range. The tumblehome allows fore and aft paddlers to use a long kayak paddle.

Cons- The lack of a yoke makes it hard to load solo, but it can be done if you've got good core strength.

All in all we're very pleased with our decision so far.