Submitted: 08-02-2011 by Neil

I bought a used Dagger Echo about a month ago. I have used it a lot in that time including as a platform for coaching junior and women sailors my sailing club's sailing camps. There I paddled 5 to 6 hours each day for five days in a row and found the Echo to be a great kayak for my purposes. The seat back is adjustable up and down and forward and back and is very comfortable (something I was concerned with due to a previous back injury). It is very stable and tracks well without the skeg with proper paddling technique. I have been sailing for many years and understand boats, wind and water. I often read reviews about kayaks that don't track well which I believe are mostly due to improper paddling technique. If the boat wanders somewhat, there is a reason and there is a paddle technique that can correct it. The Echo can paddle straight forward and backward and can be turned quickly, for a 14' boat, when needed. I don't know why this kayak was discontinued, except that perhaps it is too similar to the Wilderness Systems popular Pungo (owned by the same company that owns Dagger).
Overall I'm very happy with this kayak.

Spirit Sails: