Submitted: 08-01-2011 by Vere Nicolson

I like the look and the fit of the Riot Brittany. It is my first single sea kayak so my grounds for comparison and kayak knowledge are limited. Soon after purchase one of the bellcrank/levers on the rudder where the cable attaches broke with what seemed like a minimal force. This was replaced without hesitation under warranty. When a second one broke I was supplied a replacement by the vendor but chose to make a "shed " version myself because the factory part seemed flimsy and I didn't want to have to deal with a rudderless paddle home after another breakage. I chose to fit some aftermarket rudder peddles with solid footpegs and toe rudder control pedals. When I removed the old ones I was disappointed to see the rails the factory pedals slid on had warped with the pressure of the shock-cord return spring on some unknown hot day. The pedal system was very poorly designed and would have needed replacement soon in any case. The return spring was a piece of shock-chord doing a 180 degree turn through a hole in the slider rail and would be chafed through very quickly.

After a session of rolling practice I was alarmed at how much water was through all the hatches, Litres not drops. I discovered that all the bulkheads were leaking. Again vendor support was good and he offered to re-seal all the bulkheads for me but I chose to do it myself with materials supplied by the vendor. I have now got a boat I quite like, but really it shouldn't have taken so much to get it to that point. There are some fittings behind the seat that have rusted very badly despite the fact I was the boat with fresh water after every outing. I discussed this with the vendor but by this stage I was starting to accept that the fittings are just poorly chosen for a SEA kayak and rather than replacing them with the same item, which will only rust again, I will work out an alternative at some stage in the future.

I think the kayak performs OK but because it is my first single I really can't comment in a comparative way