Submitted: 07-29-2011 by SBR

I have been a avid canoeist for years, making numerous week-long, 100-mile trips on the Allagash Wilderness Waterway with my OT Tripper. I bought myself a OT Adventure XL and my wife a Loon 138 a number of years ago. BTW, my wife never cared for canoeing, but loves kayaking, to the point of actually complaining when I suggest we call it a day after being out on the water most of the day!

We have kayaked tidal estuaries along the NE coast, and spent a week paddling both Prince Edward Island,and Campabello. Needless to say we loves these boats! I've used the Loon a few times, but for me there is a noticeable difference in the two. The Adventure XL is a more responsive boat, at least for me.

After 30+ years in canoes, to experience the advantages kayaks offer is amazing. I've been on the water in conditions I wouldn't even consider attempting with my Tripper, and felt completely at ease while using my spray skirt. I'm contemplating a ultra light solo trip to the Allagash with the Adventure XL, this summer doing the flatwater portion.

Both my wife and I love our respective boats. But my vote definitely goes for the Adventure XL.