Submitted: 07-28-2011 by LeoFender

We just bought the Penobscot 16 RX (royalex) a couple of days ago and used it yesterday on the Falls Reservoir between Tillery & Badin near Albermarle, NC. My son & I took it out for about 3 hrs. I found it to be quick & well handling. The water was smooth with hardly any breeze. The lack of initial stability did not bother either of us & we quickly got into having him lean a little to aid in turning. He is only 100 lbs & I go 220 so after about 30 min we turned the boat around & I sat in the front seat & he in the back seat. This balanced the boat out a little more & it seemed to handle really well like this. We plan to add a 3rd seat so wife &/or daughter can go also.

My initial impression of the boat is a good one. We plan to river run it in a couple of weeks & I hope to find it equally impressive in a river.