Submitted: 07-28-2011 by Mark R.

Let's start out with the good.. I got the Apex 130T SE (Special Edition for bulk shopping stores, aka Costco, Sam's, BJ's, etc) 2 weeks ago now and have taken it out twice both in the Ocean (South Florida). First week was incredible. Perfectly flat ocean for the entire morning and only a light chop in the afternoon. Took both of my kids (5 and 6 years old) out separately and while I didn't give either of them a paddle since I didn't have a tether for them to use yet, they both felt perfectly comfortable in the boat. Spent the better part of 6 hours on the water. My only complaint is that I'm 33 years old and I haven't used quite a few of those muscles in many many years and I hurt for a few days after. No fault of the kayak's of course.

This past weekend was a different story. I'll have to preface this bad experience with the fact that I still give the kayak a 10 out of 10 because the problems were 10000% preventable and completely my own stupidity at work.

We got to the beach and immediately saw that the previous week's glass ocean had turned into 5-8 foot waves crashing on shore, but I was stupid and decided that I wanted to make it out to the reef no matter what. Two people on the kayak (the 130T is a tandem and is rated for between 450 and 500lbs total between the two people.) I had practiced getting on and off the kayak from water deep enough the week before that I couldn't touch the ground successfully. The reef is just over a half mile directly off-shore and the first 3/4 of the trip, while being in rough seas, were pretty normal taking roughly 15 or 20 minutes to make it that far. We were towing behind us a BC and tank so that the other member of my paddling team could do some scuba once we got to the reef and I'd do some snorkeling. At this point we were in visible range of the mooring buoys and they were maybe 50 or 75 more yards away from us. The boat seemed to take over at this point and we didn't really move forward no matter how hard we paddled. I got myself to the point of exhaustion and dehydration in those final 15/20 minutes before the rough seas caught up with me and I started feeling nauseous.. I'll leave the gory details out, but to make a long story shorter that it could be, by the time we made it to the buoys and tied off at the reef, I got sick multiple times making the dehydration kick in that much faster. A little while later after a tiny bit of trying to recover, I was towed in by friends of mine that happened to be out there at the same time in their own kayaks.

As we got back to shore and I tried to pull the kayak up out of the surf, the kayak wouldn't budge. That's when I saw it, (or didn't see it) The drain plug at the rear of the kayak had ripped out sometime during the trip out in the rough seas, and I had taken on enough water to fill 1/2 the kayak... the "compression" fitting needs to be a more secure screw in plug and I've already ordered a $4 replacement one.

Please Please Please if you have one of these find a screw in replacement online and replace the compression cork. My situation turned out good in the end, but a little more water in the kayak and things could have been much much worse than they turned out to be.

I still give it to the kayak that holding that much water in the hull it still made it back to shore to be drained. 10/10, but please do yourself a favor and replace the drain cork.