Submitted: 07-27-2011 by mark

I am a novice paddler and purchased an XP-9. I have read several reviews of this boat and the XP-10. I was surprised to find that the glowing positive reviews I read have matched my experience.

This is a very forgiving and confidence inspiring boat. Excellent quality. The skeg is brilliant; move the lever forward (downstream) to lower the skeg, or back, (upstream) to raise the skeg. The boat changes from super maneuverable, to straight tracking. In one 37-mile stretch on the Rogue river I successfully navigated 47 serious rapids, class II to III in fast flow and swirly currents. This is with less than 2 hours practice in ww. Somehow this boat danced me safely downstream under conditions I never thought I could tackle. A Seals 2 XL skirt worked great. I did make a plastic back support that I can velcro to the back band enabling me to extend the height of the rear cushion. This gives me the option of a low or high back support. Sweet. Comfortable now for a few hours. The rounded bow bounces off rocks and the boat accelerates well. And nice cargo capacity. I am 5'10, 180 lbs and it fits me well. The XP 10 was too big for me.