Submitted: 07-25-2011 by unclephil

I picked up my Otter at a yard sale last fall for $150 (along with a tandem Otter for $250). These is my first kayak and I have gotten a lot of use out of it on lakes and smaller bodies of water. I am 6' 209# and it still works for me.

Reading the other reviews I see that most of the Otters that others have are bare bones kayaks. Mine has foot pegs and bungee cords. Don't know if my Otter came with them or if the previous owner added them.

My first time out I got out after an hour of paddling and my legs collapsed under me. Short posterior leg syndrome (tight hamstrings). Stretching helped. Don't know if this is the result of the hard seat. One review recommend the Harmony seat pad. Sounds like a good investment.

I admit to being envious of the longer, sleeker, prettier touring kayaks and may get one for other types of paddling but will probably hang on to this one for its maneuverability and convenience of throwing it in the back of my short box pickup and heading out. You sure seem to see more touring kayaks on Craig's list then smaller kayaks. There must be a reason for that.