Submitted: 07-19-2011 by Dirk Dixon

My wife and I just spent 3 days canoe camping in the Adirondacks with the Swift Prospector 16 we special ordered through Mountainman Outfitters in Old Forge, NY. I want to take this opportunity to compliment the Swift staff for a well done job that produced an incredibly well built boat. The craftsmanship, attention to detail and level of quality that went into the construction of this boat is greatly appreciated. Also, David Yost deserves kudos for a boat design that more than lives up to the legendary Prospector’s reputation.

At 40 pounds, our Kevlar Fusion boat was a real pleasure to portage (if portaging could ever be a pleasure). The hull construction, especially in conjunction with the integral Carbon Kevlar gunnels, makes this an extremely robust and rigid boat. It has excellent tracking capability for a 16 footer and slices through water with the speed of a much longer boat. It's ability to turn on a dime worked very well on backcountry creeks and it has remarkable stability in the heavy waters on the open lakes, especially when loaded. Even though this boat has more than enough room for two people and a week's worth of gear, it is also a joy to paddle solo.

We are delighted with the purchase of this boat. While I know there is no such thing as the perfect canoe for all conditions, I firmly believe this boat comes close.