Submitted: 08-21-2000 by John C. Chinnock

My wife had owned a Seda Gypsy for a couple of years and thought she was happy. But, she had a difficult time keeping up with longer boats, including my Looksha IV, on a 90 mile ± tour around Tiburon Island, Sonora. Because of the width of the Gypsy, she couldn’t brace her thighs well against the boat sides and was unable to use her abdominal muscles and back to power her strokes. She was miserable in that short, wide bathtub, working harder than anyone on the trip and unable to handle braces in rough seas. Unwilling to allow her to abuse me with her misery on our next planned extended tour of Lake Powell, we went boat shopping. After trying a number of boats in San Diego we tried the Telkwa, which was the boat our tour guide used on the Tiburon trip. The Telkwa Sport fit perfectly and I bought it for her that day. She left me in her wake at Powell. She had plenty of room for food and gear for 9 days and is, 2 years later, still in love with the boat. The Telkwa Sport is for smaller paddlers wanting a tighter fitting, slightly narrower kayak. It is a long, medium volume boat, but it is surprisingly nimble. The finish is beautiful and the lines are very striking. While it might not turn quite as easily as my double chined hull, it accelerates more quickly and is a little easier to keep on track.