Submitted: 03-20-1999 by Ian P.

The Royalex Sundowner 17 was recomended to my wife and I by a We-no-nah sales rep at a local canoe show. It is our first "serious" canoe. Our previous was an 18 or 19 foot Michicraft aluminum canoe. The sundowner does everything the rep. said it would. We have used our sundowner for evething from multiday canoe camping trips on lakes in Canada and rivers MI's Upper Penninsula to hour long river "races" (nothing official). The Sundowner is very stable when heavily loaded for camping (400lbs total) and very fast and nimble when loaded with nothing but my wife and I (290lbs total). The only time primary stability was compromised was when we loaded four people in the canoe for an evening trip for a total of about 630lbs the secondary stability kept us dry. We've played on the Lake Michigan shore in three foot waves with total confidence in the stability of the craft although the canoe did flex torsionally in those extreme conditions. overall I have been very pleased with the speed, stability, and workmanship of our Royalex Sundowner 17 and would not hesitate to recommend it to others.

Spirit Sails: