Submitted: 07-13-2011 by Carlo A

First of all, if you're interested in purchasing this kayak, you're probably not seeking professional grade. Like me, you're most likely going to be kayaking in calm lakes or at a bay. There are however some inflatable yaks that compete in pro class, but expect to shed some dollars. I recently purchased this kayak second hand for 260CAD (what a steal!), and it used to retail for approx 500$.

The yak is quite flat and wide, which helps in preventing capsizing (it feels that way). It is roughly 8 ft long and 3 ft wide. It has a small sturdy skeg in the rear and a slim mini skeg in the front: they are both similar in length (the front one seems useless - maybe designed to cut through waves). The material seems really strong: the outer canvas layer keeps everything taught; the flotation tube pvc material is similar to air beds (pretty thick).

For a recreational yak, this thing moves fairly easily and turns very quickly. It is slightly wobbly when in wavy condition - but nothing dramatic. The legroom is great. I measure 171cm/5'7" and I sit really comfortably. It absorbs shocks really well! I think a 6' person will not be able to extend the legs fully (will have to bend the knees a bit). The platform over the legs is strong and big enough to carry things like a small cooler; no other storage location though.

I used a dual action pump which inflated the whole thing in approx 5 mins. It has 6 air chambers in total: two chambers for the hull/body have, I think, boston valves - great to release air. A chamber for the floor, the outer ring/lip, and two bladders right under the storage deck.

The bottom line:
This yak is significantly and seriously better than Canadian Tire/Walmart inflatables since those crappy things are made of the same materials as beach balls and cheap pool chairs etc. I give it an 8 because of its lack of speed.

This yak is honestly the intro level of true inflatables. Don't expect high speeds and the like - it is a recreational. I am a beginner and I already feel its lack professionalism. If you want one to simply have a good time, and the price is right (up to 350$), get it by all means. I plan on taking it in deep and wavy lake waters (crazy stuff). I'll update the feedback after that happens.
Good luck and enjoy it!