Submitted: 07-12-2011 by Florida salt

Ok, so here's what I've got. After searching high and low for a decent fishing kayak, I decided on the Tarpon 120. I am 5'8" and weigh 170, this kayak is great, super quiet, plenty of storage, and a practical layout.

When it came to buying a kayak I was torn between two, the Tarpon 120 and the Ocean Kayak 11 Trident, I really liked the way the Trident looked and I thought the rod pod was a necessity. With that said, I went to the local shop and sat in both of them, did research, sat in them, did more research etc. So I bought the Tarpon, it came with a better seat, and honestly it seemed to be better built, it also has a lifetime warranty.

So when comparing the Tarpon with other kayaks I've used I can say that the Tarpon 120 against the Prowler 13 is hands down a better kayak. I paddled the Prowler for about two hours straight today and find it to be very big and bulky, not very maneuverable, and sitting much higher from the water line the wind was throwing me everywhere.

Pros for the tarpon:
  • Tracts good for the size
  • maneuverable
  • Layout
  • craftsmanship
  • 3 phase seat
  • carrying handles
  • scupper holes have channels

Cons:

• a little heavy
  • hard to clean under seat pan
  • cup holder is a bit of a reach
Lastly, I tried standing in this kayak and failed. I took a quick bath but that was all, none of my gear went, and, getting back in was a snap. The Prowler I used I could stand while I was cruising. I know I am forgetting much, but I spent all day fishing and am whooped! BTW, the bungie between your feet holds the fish down great if you forgot your stringer! Tight lines.