Submitted: 07-12-2011 by Jeff P

I bought the Liquid Logic Coupe because I wanted a cross-over kayak I could use in flat water, light rapids, and the ocean surf. As a comparison, I also have an Ocean Kayak Frenzy. They both perform quite well for all three categories listed above. The Frenzy is actually a bit better for beginners in ocean surf because the hull design allows for the kayak to stay on course easier than the coupe when surfing down waves. The Coupe has the advantage once you get some skills under your belt. The Coupe will out-perform the Frenzy in whitewater situations and will carry more. I enjoy both kayaks.

One issue with the Coupe in ocean waves is that mine takes on a lot of water. I always need to lift it up and drain out the water from the plug after I use it. The Frenzy didn't take on nearly as much water. I think water is getting in the boat from the hatches. The next time I take it to the ocean, I might use some plastic wrap and rubber bands to supplement the hatch covers.

I like the integrated wheel on the Coupe. It comes in handy when I need to move the kayak over hard ground. Over sand, though, I drag it from the back. It's a good cross-over boat.